[TowerTalk] Blue Herons, ospreys and other pesky critters

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Blue Herons, ospreys and other pesky critters
From: "Jim Jarvis" <jimjarvis@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 21:00:30 +0000
At our place in MD, the ospreys were pretty settled on the DNR
nesting poles in the creek.  There were smaller birds that tended
to land on convenient places on the sailboat, and crap things up.
Dangling CD's didn't really chase them...and the Blue Heron that
lived in the harbor wasn't deterred by much of anything.

I specifically remember my black lab being chased down the dock by
a squalling blue heron, who didn't even bother to take off...just
ran down the dock, flapping wings, chasing the dog.  Wisely, my lab
didn't look back.

Seriously,  Osprey's are endangered.  About the only way you'll
disuade them is to provide a nesting spot some distance away.
They like live fish, so your antenna farm isn't an ideal location.

Just be glad you don't have a prized koi collection in a pond.

N2EA

ps:  plastic owls are readily seen as ornaments.  Birds have been around
since the dinosaurs.  They figure it out fairly quickly.