Re: [TowerTalk] Tower spacing

To: "TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower spacing
From: "Larry" <lknain@nc.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 17:32:41 -0400
Spacing at the moment is likely to be around 80-100 feet. It could be
more if need be by moving it off the N-S line although selling it to the
"architectural consulting committee - the XYL" would be more considerably
more difficult. Moving off the N-S line would have to be more along a NE-SW
line.

Some of the concern here beyond the 160 operation which is important will
be that the 40M yagi has a turning radius somewhere around 36 feet and
the log periodic around 30 feet (I think). These two antennas will be about
20-30 feet different in height. Given the separation both in height and
center
of rotation I suspect there will be relatively small interaction or pattern
distortion of either antenna although pointing the lower antenna at the
taller
tower can't be the best situation. A tower spacing of 80-100 feet is
somewhat close
for 160 and although the shorter tower is probably not close enough to
resonance
on 160 (or 80) it may affect the radiation pattern as any metal object
might. Enough
to be troublesome? I am not sure and hence the solicitation of comments
here.

The notion of trying to load and feed both towers with a phasing scheme is
attractive although the separation is somewhere between an 1/8 wave  and 1/4
wave
on 160. I am not versed enough in phasing schemes to know whether I could
make
a useful phasing scheme. But as I noted the N-S orientation is probably not
the ideal
either. Even with a phasing scheme it might be more work than warranted by
the
return.

73, Larry  W6NWS