[TowerTalk] Guy wire resonance

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Guy wire resonance
From: michael.dinkelman@physio-control.com (Dinkelman, Michael W.)
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 09:14:56 -0700
Must be some tower (I didn't see the original post)

Actually, my issue is the costs shown, not the argument
over Philly or Steel. Both can do the job if installed
properly and both have pro's and con's.

However, lets consider some cost savings here.

Most of Rohn's drawings only call for 3/16 EHS on a 25G tower

Even 45G towers usually have only one run of 1/4 EHS (top set of guys)

The Philly equivalent of 3/16" EHS (4000#) is $.40 cheaper than
of the 1/4" EHS equivalent. (Granted - 3/16" EHS  is also cheaper
than  1/4" EHS but the delta is smaller. i.e. you would save
$400 in guy material alone going to 4000# material in the example
shown) Grips are cheaper at that size too.

Break 'em up anyway you want, but if I was going steel, and cost
WAS important, I would consider clamps before buying 120 grips.
Properly installed, they work too - just not as "cool" and a bit
more work.

Then, I would consider only using Philly for upper guys or near
antennas depending on how you are going to load the tower. Once you
get out and/or down a ways, use steel - who says the entire guy
has to be Philly? (It should be partially steel anyway for
safety) It really depends on your individual setup.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yes, Philly is more expensive than steel, but I think the shown tower
example is overkill. Now maybe the tower to be built needs to
stand up to 150 Mph winds, is going to hold up a house, or you
really want to sleep well at night. If so, go with the original
materials - peace of mind is never too expensive. Otherwise, I
think the straight across comparison with overly conservative
materials was unfair. My Saturn gets me around just as well as
any Lexus but I do add a few accessories where I feel they benefit
me. Same with my tower. A little compromise while maintaining
manufacturer design specs might yield some good results at a
"reasonable" extra cost.

Philly and steel guyed tower owner
dink, n7wa