[Towertalk] The StepIR

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] The StepIR
From: na9d@speakeasy.net (Jon Ogden)
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 06:03:27 -0500
on 9/15/02 1:51 PM, Guy Olinger, K2AV at k2av@contesting.com wrote:

> The SteppIR may fare BETTER than regular aluminum antennas in
> salt-spray environments.
>
> The copper tape itself is sealed inside the stepper housing and the
> fiberglass tubes. It is exposed only to what manages to leak inside.

What about ice?  Yes, the copper tape and the servo motor are all sealed
inside.  But in those environs where it might get really cold, what if
moisture condenses inside and freezes?  What then?  I hadn't thought about
that but just yesterday I was talking with another ham about this antenna
and he brought up the icing point.

Frankly, I think the antenna is a great idea.  I've thought about getting
one myself although my tower cost more to put up than I expected so I will
be holding off on antenna purchases until next spring.....

73,

Jon
NA9D

Jon Ogden