[Towertalk] More Grounding Questions

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] More Grounding Questions
From: na9d@speakeasy.net (Jon Ogden)
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 10:05:39 -0500
Hi all,

I've got a couple more grounding questions.

I downloaded and printed out PolyPhaser's app notes on lightning protection.
I've done a very brief amount of reading and it's raised a couple more
questions though.

It appears that if your single point ground, surge suppressors, etc. is near
the tower (where I was going to put mine), your equipment could be w/in the
magnetic field of the tower created by a strike.  It sounds like from the
brief amount that I have read that if this is the case, you could still
induce a voltage on the other side of all your protection equipment.  That
would render it useless in effect.

So where do you really want the surge protectors, etc.  What sort of housing
should they be in?  The article suggests a metal housing to shield them.  Is
that what really should be used?  Is the base of the tower the right place?
Do you need them inside the shack as well?

Thanks,

Jon

Jon Ogden
NA9D (ex: KE9NA)