RE: [TowerTalk] Mounting a 4x4 in concrete

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Mounting a 4x4 in concrete
From: "Rick Bullon" <kc5ajx@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 07:19:21 +0000
Hello Derek
Finally a subject I have experience with! I live in the country ie boonies and we do this all the time to hang gates off of in the fences around the pasture. We use treated 4X4's around here and hand up to 18' gates off them.
You really need to have the 4X4 as deep as you can get it if you just put it 2' in the ground it will never be study. 4' is minimum depth.
Since you ar using redwood you shouldn't worry about it rotten in the ground, around here redwood is too expensive to use as gate posts.

As to the brackets you are talking about they are designed to bear weight not to support the post. In a deck they are usually sitting on a concrete footing it is just a convent way to attach the post to the footing. I tried to use these to put roof on my front deck ( attached them to the deck board of a flat deck) it failed miserably the first good storm that came though here ripped most of it off as the top of the deck swayed in the wind and shook it self apart.

When you go to dig the hole to plant the 4X4 in make it a big hole don't just dig a 1' X1' X4' hole make it at least 2'X2'X4' use lots of concrete. let it set for at least 2 days before you put anything on it.

You might talk wit Tom W8JI he has a four sq that is supported with 4X4's
73
Rick
KC5AJX