Re: [TowerTalk] pushup mast source and other comments

To: jimlux@earthlink.net, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] pushup mast source and other comments
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 14:44:32 +0000
I clamp the rope about 2 inches away from the eye. it probably doesn't matter much except that if you try to snug the pliars right up on the eye, it would be harder to do and squeeze the two ropes between the pliars and not tear at the rope. all you want is to clamp the two ropes against each other like what you would have with a clip. i use 3/16 dacron. Never had a problem with them unclamping.

thanks to Brett VR2BG who wrote about using knots. I wanted to use a knot but I really stink at getting tension with a knot. I will study what you advise and try it. a knot is way cheaper than hardware.

Clarification: i did not mean to imply that the Gap antenna was okay on a 40 foot "modified" H50. I think to elevate a Gap you should use a short tower. The problem with elevating Gaps that I did not get into is that it is almost impossible to keep them from coupling to whatever they are mounted on, because the base is one end of a linear loaded, cap and stub loaded dipole (depending on the band you are on), and if you elevate it much the tower will probably detune it.

Rob/K5UJ

From: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
To: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 19:17:48 -0800

> Get a bunch of cheap knockoff locking pliars for 3 to 5 bucks each (about
> what a thimble and 3 clips would cost but don't get visegrips or you will
go
> broke) and pull the rope tight through the earth screw eye and clamp it
with
> the locking pliars.  get the needlenose pliars as they can handle two
ropes
> each.  These hold the rope fine and are a walk in the sun compared to
> kneeling in the snow for a half hour with nut drivers, pliars, etc.
> tightening clips.

Do you clamp the rope around the eye, or at some distance?  I'm having a
tough time visualizing exactly what you're clamping here.  Off hand, I love
the idea of using inexpensive clamping pliers.. You could use the slack end
of the rope to tie around the pliers to make sure they don't unclamp.