Re: [TowerTalk] MOVs in Stackmatch

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] MOVs in Stackmatch
From: Rick Stealey <rstealey@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 22:08:58 +0000

 Is there any
> way with minimal equipment to see if an MOV is still good? The relay
> coils all appear OK, so I guess they did their job.

Pete,
If you put dc on them, with a series resistor to limit the current to about 1 ma
you will see the breakdown voltage.
I have done this many times, and used MOVs on rotor control lines, and tested a
 Polyphaser rotor protector which is just MOVs across the lines and know this
will work.
If you find zero volts or no current flowing you know you have a blown MOV.
You can get huge rated MOVs from Mouser for 30-50 cents each.
Here is a sample of an approximately 30 volt MOV.  Mouser part #576-V39ZA20P.
This will get you to the right page on the Mouser site.

Rick  K2XT