Re: [TowerTalk] 40 Wire Antennas for a City Lot?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 40 Wire Antennas for a City Lot?
From: "Mark ." <n1lo@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 12:54:47 -0500
Hello Eric,

Here's a coupla ideas...

1) For omnidirectional coverage and lower takeoff angles, try adding a
separate 1/4 wave (33 ft for 40m) vertical radiator wire to the feedpoint of
your existing 160m inverted L, and add more radials to boost the efficiency
of your counterpoise system, even if they have to bend around. Use a
suitable spreader to space the free end of the new 40m vertical radiator
wire 3-4 feet away from the existing 160m L radiator wire.

2) Same as #1 above, except make the new element a 5/8 wave inverted L for
40m. This will give you a combination of vertical and horzontal radiation,
but will require a tuner for a match.

--...MARK_N1LO...--

Eric asks:
<<  I need advice for a 40m wire antenna in my 40ft/12m (E/W) x 144ft/44m
(N/S) city lot, bordered by power and telco lines along the western side.
  At the moment, I'm using an 80/40 Off Center Fed dipole (made by Fritzel),
and for contesting it is, well.. mediocre!  Adding a rotatable dipole
element to my roof-mounted C3-SS is, for the time being, a non-starter. I
have a 160 inverted-L with 26 radials.
  Thoughts, comments, suggestions? Thanks in advance!   73, Eric W3DQ>>