Re: [TowerTalk] Movement of 25g

To: henry@mrlistersir.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Movement of 25g
From: "Pat Barthelow" <aa6eg@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2007 23:00:17 -0700
>From: Henry <henry@mrlistersir.com>  Said:
(Snip)
>On a side note, the 45g has a a 24ft Rohn climbable 3 inch od mast that
>moves a bunch when I  am at the top of it. Working on the antenna at the
>top takes faith in engineering.

Boy, that brings back memories of seasoned comments by Steve, K7LXC, on this
list, years ago, about how much of a jump in  pucker factor there is in
climbing from the sturdy, massive triangular tower, to a sturdy, TINY,
properly engineered 2.5 or 3", 20 ft antenna mast.

He made it VERY clear that very few tower climbers have the chops to
comfortably, safely work at the top of a, say 20-some ft mast, on a  70 ft
tower, with antennas mounted, and, wield their tools of the trade, and do
good, efficient work. Steve's seasoned response was triggered by a casual
reponse by an ambitious ham, as to what size U bolts and angle irons to use
to create steps up the antenna mast...Steve, very effectively, conveyed the
extreme pucker factor encountered in such an endeavor.

You have never lived until your knees have been in the breeze, at 90'  on a
2.5" mast, working on antennas.... (:>)

73, DX, de Pat AA6EG aa6eg@hotmail.com;
Skype: Sparky599
Moon or Bust!--Jamesburg Gang Rides Again!