Re: [TowerTalk] Copper grounding bus bar

To: k4pwo@comcast.net, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Copper grounding bus bar
From: "Pat Barthelow" <aa6eg@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 13:41:23 -0700
>From: "Perry - K4PWO" <k4pwo@comcast.com
>Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 15:18:48 -0500
>
>You just need to take extra care with "cleanliness" and preparation of any
>mechanical/electrical connections.  Aluminum oxide is an excellent
>insulator so you have to clean (burnish/sand) all connection points and
>apply "no-cro" paste as quick as possible.  The oxidation only takes
>moments to take place.
>73 de Perry - K4PWO

Interesting demo about the quick Oxidation of Aluminum.  Years ago, My ET
professor said you can solder copper to aluminum by taking the aluminum,
coating it with  oil, such as motor oil, then on the aluminum surface, under
the  oil covering, burnish/scratch it up real good., keeping oxygen away,
from the raw, burnished surface.    Then take a BIG hot soldering iron, and
apply the heat, copper wire, and solder through the heavy oil film, and you
can get the solder to bond the aluminum and copper together.    Have never
tried it, but it would be interesting to try.

All the Best, 73,
Pat Barthelow     aa6eg@hotmail.com
http://www.jamesburgdish.org
Subscribe: http://bambi.net/jamesburg.html
Jamesburg Earth Station  Moon Bounce Team