Re: [TowerTalk] Coaxial Moxon

To: Brian Machesney <nekvtster@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Coaxial Moxon
From: "David J. Sourdis" <hk1kxa@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 01:31:14 -0500
Thank you all for the response. I made one dipole for 10m band with RG8 type,
vf=.66, formula dictated about 1.75m for each half of the dipole. I started
with 1.80m per side, and hung it about 2 meters above the floor, it was already
dark and wasn't an optimal location, I will try today to install it somewhere
else. The thing resonated at 23.5 Mhz, sure that in a higher and clear location
it would get a little higher resonant frecuency. According to the Antenna Book,
bent dipoles have a 0.55 frecuency factor, this would fall around 21,7 MHz for
the lenght I am using. This factor is for a bent wire, not a for coax with
dielectric and its specific geometry.

My initial conclusion is that it behaves like a dipole with each half bent so
the tips get close to the center of the antena without touching each other,
just like a folded dipole but opened at the center. So, IMHO, it is like a bent
dipole that is 3,60m long on each half (the lenght of the center conductor plus
the lenght of the shield added together). If it is so, the center half of the
dipole with the most current area would be enclosed by the rest of the lenght
which has the smaller current area. Forgetting about supposed shorter length
advantage given by the velocity factor  and seeing it like a bent dipole, would
be better to connect the shield to the feed line instead of the center
conductor so the lenght with the least current is enclosed by the one with the
greater current portion, more Watts transferred to the air.

Please anyone correct me if I am wrong, I am just an antenna aficionado, not a
pro on the subject.

David
HK1KXA
EC5KXA