[TowerTalk] Shack Inside a Ufer Cage & Singel Point Ground

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Shack Inside a Ufer Cage & Singel Point Ground
From: "BRENT BAUM" <brentbaum5323@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 17:04:52 -0700
Here's the deal: My basement is constructed using the "concrete encased
grounding system" (Ufer Cage) for the basement walls and floor. Additionally
the house is modular construction, meaning it has a steel subframe which was
then welded to some rather massive I-beams that span the basement. The
subframe and I-beams connect to the Ufer cage 30 feet away from my shack
location in the basement. I know I am inside an RF shield, my handi-talki
won't connect with my mobile in the drive way. The only real penetrations of
the shield are due to the gas line (usually isolated at the meter),
electrical power, phone and TV satelite lines and my coax lines.

Question: Can I mount my single point ground to the 18" wide I-beam that's
directly over the operating position or do I need seperate ground rods? Any
other suggestions for EMF and lightning protection?

BTW - I plan to put up a 40" crank up this spring with 2 80-to-10 inverted
trap V's, 6 meter and 2 meter 3 element beams (home built) on the mast, and
a 2 meter/440 1/4 wave vertical with radials on top.

Thanks,
K7MEI Brent

K7MEI, Brent