Re: [TowerTalk] Taking up slack in wire antennas

To: Dan Zimmerman N3OX <n3ox@n3ox.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Taking up slack in wire antennas
From: BRENT BAUM <brentbaum5323@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 09:04:09 -0600
If you have rope at the ends of the wires you can get out your old Scout hand
book and look up how to tie a taut line hitch out at the ends of the rope. Then
as the tower is lowered you, or a couple of assistants, can run up the slack
with the hitches, just like tightening tent ropes.

Sometimes old fashioned simple technology works the best.

Good luck

73 K7MEI, Brent

Scoutmaster, Silver Beaver, etc. etc.> Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 10:02:17 -0400>
From: n3ox@n3ox.net> To: towertalk@contesting.com> Subject: Re: [TowerTalk]
Taking up slack in wire antennas> > > For shorter antennas, I've used weights
hanging from the ends of the> > support ropes, and also screen door springs,
but I have to take up> > too much slack in the 160m antenna for these solutions
to work. I> > need something like a venetian blind shade, that reels in the
support> > rope and keeps it under constant tension. Anybody know if anything>
> like that is available?> > I've thought about this a bit for guy ropes for my
60 foot telescoping> vertical... they always seem to get tangled if it's even a
little> windy when I take it down:> > I haven't tried it yet, but I was
thinking a possible solution would> be a spool with a large diameter driven by
smaller spool with a heavy> weight pulling on a cord. If you made the spool
diameter ratio 10:1,> for example, you could reel in 60 fee
 t of wire with a 6 foot drop of> the weight.> > You'd have to use some
stupidly heavy weights to keep reasonable> tension to support a 160m inverted
vee with this method, though. I was> considering just using these things to
reel in the ropes and using> something else to provide tension while the
antenna is up. My> application is to reel in some 1/16" light cord, not keep
tension on a> dipole.> > - - - - - - -> > I also found this:> >
http://www.firstchoicemarine.com/p-463-anchor-rein-anchor-lift-anchor-line-spool-36-retractable.aspx>