[TowerTalk] (no subject)

To: <n3ox@n3ox.net>, "Eric Hilding" <b38@hilding.com>,"towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] (no subject)
From: <jacobsen_5@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 18:56:26 -0500
On 10/19/07, Eric Hilding <b38@hilding.com<mailto:b38@hilding.com>> wrote:
> My understanding is that use of the 160m loading coil for the HF-6V limits
> the power to 500w on 160m.

Dan, N3OX replied:

"I'd believe that. The voltage across the coil will tend to be pretty fierce.

500W seems to give about 7600V across the coil. Full legal limit would be 13kV"

To which I reply:  The problem on 160m is not the voltage across the coil so
much as the current. I read that the doorknob caps can't handle the current
(which I suppose is also a function of the voltage). AND even at the 500 watt
level, unless the caps are NPO type, they start to drift, and so does the
resonant freq.

Of course, as as always, YMMV.
Oh, and I'm by no means an antenna Garu. I just read a lot.

73 es GDDX
K9WN  Jake