[TowerTalk] DX Engineering radial plate question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] DX Engineering radial plate question
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 22:54:52 +0000
Hello all,

I have been spending time here and there, studying the construction methods
used in AM medium wave broadcast ground systems.  As most of you know, the
typical AM monopole counterpoise is 120 quarter or half wave radials.  The
hardware is usually all copper with cadwelding and copper strap bonding to
the tower matching network where the coax comes in.

In my own counterpoise for my 160 m. inverted L, I use the well known and
generally highly regarded DX Engineering radial plate.  This is well made
and quite robust however I'm bothered by one thing--it is made with
stainless steel.   Compared to copper and brass, stainless steel is a poor
conductor.  In fact, its conductivity is around 4% of the conductivity value
of brass for example.  Before I put a sheet of copper over the radial plate
and use the plate for physical ruggedness only, I thought I'd ask here for
opinions -- is the DX Engineering radial plate a return path resistor?   The
fact that it is not particularly large may be a mitigating factor.

tnx
rob / k5uj

5.5%* 30 year fixed mortgage rate. Good credit refinance. Up to 5 free
quotes - *Terms
https://www2.nextag.com/goto.jsp?product=100000035&url=%2fst.jsp&tm=y&search=mortgage_text_links_88_h2a5d&s=4056&p=5117&disc=y&vers=910