Re: [TowerTalk] tower insulators

To: n8de@thepoint.net, k9kl@centurytel.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] tower insulators
From: "Pat Barthelow" <aa6eg@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 19:29:56 -0700
> >I have been slowly gathering parts needed for an insulated from ground
>tower
> >to use on 160 and 80.Got 90 feet of tower now and looking for some
> >insulators.I saw a while back that Array Solutions had some for like 200
> >bucks,now all I see is the ones for 1095 bucks.That won't work.Any help?
> >Greg  K9KL

Hello Greg,

Here is an out of the box think on your problem.  I got a Coast Guard
aluminum anodized 90 ft radiator that was removed from the Coast Guard
station in Monterey, for free.   An old navaid no longer used.  The radiator
was mounted on a Lapis brand conical insulator with steel top plate with
mounting studs, and a steel fitting on the ceramic base, that would be
placed on a, say, 2" short stud, protruding about 3" above a concrete base.
See these pictures of similar, though slightly larger Lapis insulators:

http://www.angelfire.com/nj4/wttm/insul.html
http://www.earthsignals.com/Collins/0020/0008_1.jpg

You miight look for some ham/Broadcast Engineers in your area to see if
there are any graveyards with old antenna stuff in them, maybe insulators.

The other thing is, a lot of old navaids are being taken down, Non
Directional Beacons.. perhaps there is one nearby that you can salvage parts
from.. Again I think It would be good to look up Broadcast engineers in your
area...

73,
Pat, AA6EG   aa6eg@hotmail.com