Re: [TowerTalk] The simple Gamma Match?

To: w7why@verizon.net, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] The simple Gamma Match?
From: "Pat Barthelow" <aa6eg@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 18:16:05 -0700
I heard an interesting story direct from Dr Dave Leeson  (Wrote: Physical
Design of Yagi Antennas)
Who teaches various RF/antenna courses at Stanford U.

Dave told me he had a student from Japan, who was meticulous in his lab
work.  Seems the student got consistently bad results from his formula
derived measurements and dimensions for gamma matches.  Consistently off by
a factor of 2 with respect to some part of the impedance matching equation,
or possibly a dimension.  (I dont recall the exact details)

Dave's super student  hound dogged this discrepancy  (kind of like Cliff
Stoll in the Cukoo's Egg) and found out that an error, early on (decades
ago) in Gamma Matching design publications propagated erroneous info on the
Gamma match.  This is a great story, that someone should talk to Dave about,
and publish..

73, DX, de Pat AA6EG aa6eg@hotmail.com;
                  Skype:  Sparky599