[TowerTalk] Quagi Optimization

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Quagi Optimization
From: "Pat Barthelow" <aa6eg@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 07:13:59 -0800
Sorry for the slightly off topic query, and please guide me to the best
antenna discussion group....I am at a remote location, (Sierra Foothills
above Auburn CA,) and built Wayne Oberbecks Late 70's version, 16 el Quagi
for 440 to try to hit the hometown repeater, ( Monterey CA) some 160 miles
away, driven with 5 watts.  I can hear the repeater sometimes,  but cant
quite key it.
I want to know what the most sensitive dimensions are that affect gain.  My
aluminum welding rod/wood boom/copper quad loop quagi, probably has some
dimesnional inaccuracies of up to 1/2 ", probably the driven loop size or
flatness, and some of the director element spacing  vary from the Oberbeck
model, vary in spacing while lengths conform pretty tight.  They may also
vary in perpendicularity to the boom  (some slightly bent, or not 90 deg  to
the flat boom, so their tips may be out of whack, say by 1/2  to 3/4
inch.... With only rough tools, what dimensions do I have to pay attention
to most, to get the best gain out of this antenna?  How about  the not
having a balun problem?
73, DX, de Pat AA6EG aa6eg@hotmail.coim