Re: [TowerTalk] Simpler Version of Shunt Fed Tower - 80M?

To: RadioIR@charter.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Simpler Version of Shunt Fed Tower - 80M?
From: "Howard Klein" <howk2@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2006 02:28:18 +0000
Jerry and Brian,
I have an 80ft self supporting tower with two 4 el SteppIR's. I shunt feed
it for 80 and 160 using two  separate feeds. Both circuits are gamma matches
with  vacuum varariable capacitors. The gamma lines are 3/4 inch copper pipe
with pvc standoffs. I retract the elements whenever I am on 80 and 160. I
have been doing this for almost 3 years without (my fingers are crossed) a
problem.  I believe Brian had some concern about the cost of the caps. There
are good buys on E-Bay as well as some not so good. You have to keep
looking. I paid under $100 for each.
Howard..K2HK
--Original Message Follows----
From: "K4SAV" <RadioIR@charter.net>
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2006 21:02:23 -0500

Now, having said all that, I know that some have tried this.  Maybe
those guinea pigs will offer their results.  I would like to know anyone
experienced any of the problems listed above.

Jerry, K4SAV

Brian Maynard wrote:

 >This is a question for the group.  Thanks for reading and responding
 >as you can.  Brian, K1NW
 >
 >I have a USTowers 55' crank up with a 4-L SteppIR.  I would like to
 >put up a shunt fed wire for 80M only.  I have read up on this and
 >despite it being called a "poor-man's vertical" I find the ~$400+
 >price tag for vacuum variable capacitors to be very prohibitive.
 >
 >My question is:
 >
 >If I am only looking for resonance on 80M can I just use high power
 >capacitors (recommendations welcome) and skip the vacuum variables?
 >
 >Also I am using the standoffs for my feed and control lines, and
 >could not possibly tie the cables for these to the tower legs (I
 >raise and lower the tower regularly) - how will this affect
 >performance of the 80M wire?

<< winmail.dat >>