[TowerTalk] RE: Gap titan response

To: stevek@jmr.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] RE: Gap titan response
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2004 18:07:36 +0000
That's probably right. I can't really comment much about 75 m. performance because I used it vy little there. I recall making contacts with it though, and even using it late at night in a NAQP SSB contest but I was running an amp and if you give a door spring enough power you will make QSOs. I eventually put up the 1 w.l. horiz. loop i use on the low bands and once i got that up, I abandoned the gap except on 20 and above where I use it or the loop depending on the circumstances. The loop beat the titan by 25 db on 40 at a friend's qth about 200 miles away but that may have partly been due to the high angle on the loop (a cloud burner antenna) compared to the vertical.

BTW, I found it necessary to put a line isolator (1:1 unun aka common mode filter) in the feed near the titan as there was rf coming back on the external shield. It was also necessary to stand off the feed from the mast. I also augmented mine with a screen of 20' wires on the lawn under it.

If I had it to do over again right now, I'd get one of those SteppIR 6 to 40 m. verticals, and throw up some kind of wires for wherever you want to operate under 7 mhz and call it quits. The SteppIR vert. wasn't on the market when I got the Titan.

Rob/K5UJ

From: Steve Katz <stevek@jmr.com>
To: "'Rob Atkinson, K5UJ'" <k5uj@hotmail.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Gap titan response