Re: [TowerTalk] Experience with MA550 tower

To: "'larryjspammenot@teleport.com'" <larryj@teleport.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Experience with MA550 tower
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 04:29:33 -0400
Hmm. Well, I stand corrected. I have a manual for the Wilson ST-77B, which I
believe was the predecessor of the US Tower MA-770, which is the model I have
(MA-770MDP with MARB base, to be exact.) The Wilson manual does say you can guy
the top section (only) to handle up to 20 sq ft of windload at 80 MPH, and says
they have an optional guy kit that includes a collar so the tower can still
rotate. It even has a little drawing of a guyed 77B. It doesn't say anything
about not overtightening the guys. It also doesn't appear to have any support
pins. I don't know where I got that idea. Maybe someone told me about a tubular
tower that had such a mechanism and I got it mixed up with the 77B. Sorry.

The manual makes a good suggestion. It says the tower is rated for 50 MPH
(without guys, presumably.) They say if the wind kicks up, lower the tower at
least 15 feet. This dramatically increases the windload capacity. When I used
my crankup tower more often than I do now, I used to keep it at 50 feet most of
the time, extending it to 72 feet only when needed. Having the motorized
remote-control version helps a lot in that regard. Nowadays, with 110' of Rohn
55 supporting the main station antennas, I only raise the crankup for contests
(it has a Force-12 4-el 20m monobander on it.) The crankup lives at 22 feet the
rest of the time.

I agree with LJ -- if you want a guyed tower, go with Rohn 25, 45 or 55. It'll
be cheaper and capable of handling much more windload.

73, Dick WC1M