Re: [TowerTalk] Best climbing harnesses

To: "'Jim McDonald'" <jim@n7us.net>, <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Best climbing harnesses
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 01:01:58 -0400
I like the Petzl work harnesses. The design is excellent, they're
comfortable, and generally lighter weight than other brands.

The chest ring is used to attach an ascender / fall arrestor when using a
safety cable system. It's not the right place to attach a fall-arrest
lanyard. Use the back D-ring for that.

The double-lever activation snap requires you to press a release on the back
of the hook in order to activate the latch. Otherwise, the latch remains
locked. It prevents the latch from opening unintentionally (e.g., when you
brush against something.) It can be a little tricky to learn how to use it,
but you'll get it with practice. I wouldn't use any other type of hook.

73, Dick WC1M