Re: [TowerTalk] Capstan

To: "'Thomas Tow'" <ttow1@charter.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Capstan
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 11:31:50 -0500
My winch is mounted to the tower, but the operator doesn't stand directly
under the load. The foot switch has a 10-foot cord. I could have made it
longer, but when raising sections we felt the winch operator was a safe
distance away from the load, should it have fallen. However, this is not the
case when an antenna is being trammed, which is what we were talking about.

I don't think my ground man figured out that he could move the section in
tiny increments by letting the rope slip. He just tapped on the foot switch.
He was able to control the raise/drop within about a half inch that way,
sufficient for me to get the legs aligned. The only trouble we had was with
three sections where the legs didn't quite align (yes, we should have
measured on the ground...) Two of the sections had to go back down for
gentle persuasion with a sledge. I was able to give the third one a
well-placed tap with my hand sledge while on the tower to get it to slip on.
I think that was the only section where the fit was tight enough that I had
to use the Tower Jack.

I used a heavy-duty 12-foot gin pole from WB0W. It's designed for use on
larger towers like Rohn 55. As long as the clamp is placed as high on the
leg as possible, and the haul rope is attached about 3/4 of the way up the
section to be lifted, there's plenty of clearance for 10-foot sections. The
1/4"-wall aluminum pole never even came close to bending under any of the
weight we applied.

The WB0W gin pole is excellent, very well-designed and very well-built. The
clamp is adjustable for a wide range of tower leg sizes. My one complaint is
that it's *really* heavy. Probably the most challenging part of stacking my
tower was moving the gin pole up for the next section. I tried a couple of
different methods: 1) lowering the head, tying it off, and using the rope to
haul the retracted pole up to the top of the next section (very difficult
due to the weight of the pole); and 2) clipping the head to the top of the
section just installed, climbing down, fixing a safety line to the clamp,
and sliding the clamp up the pole (easy, but time-and-energy consuming.)
Several times I considered rigging a separate pulley to haul the pole, but
never got around to it. Of course, I did so when it came time to lower the
pole to the ground.

73, Dick WC1M