Re: [TowerTalk] Strange HV-18T HyTower issue

To: <n8de@thepoint.net>, <brucebeard@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Strange HV-18T HyTower issue
From: Wayne Kline <w3ea@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2011 13:45:16 -0400
Bruce

 I do not have an answer to you problem, BUT I have trouble shot issues in
antenna systems as you described.
 If it a break down under Power. You friend is a High powered dummy load.
start at one end ( makes no difference which) at  trace my way back or out from
the FIRST connection. I have   (4) Hy-Gain  Hi Towers an a 4 sq on 75/80 mtrs.
Not sure of the DX engineering base plate But my Homebrew aluminum  is where I
connect the coax to and feed the tower  from that connection.  How are you
feeding the center conductor to the tower base ? This is the FIRST place I
would look at. If it is breaking down you MY see carbon trace ! But this
connection to the HOT feed must be SOLID . I use 1/4" SS bolts with internal
toothed  washers and the seal that area ( i use  DUM DUM . comes off easy and
cleans up with Brake clean )and then attach the feed from the ground plate
connector with soldered eyelets and another set of washers nuts ,. I use
striped RG213  ( no ground /no shield ) as the jumper.

YMMV

 Wayne W3EA