Re: [TowerTalk] "Cable set" failure-US tower answer

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] "Cable set" failure-US tower answer
From: Wayne Kline <w3ea@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2011 09:30:45 -0500

 Hello Fellow Towertalkers.. The To lube or not to lube is akin to finding true
north. some swear by a method some swear at it ! I worked at Bethlehem Steel Co
after I got out of the Army.. as a  crain operator, being the new guy  in the
dept. I was delegated to the outside crane run :(Well the duties and 90% of the
lifts are identical as to height /drop and resting position. with weights up to
30,000 lb This was on a  Nile 25 ton crane.the worry of the cable fatiguing
being stressed at the same position IMHO would only prevail. is if the Shiver
Drum dia was undersize to the bend radius of the cable . The gang that
maintained these things sprayed /brushed ( hand held floor brush) on a liquid
penetrating lube.   My Mentor W3GM Jerry Mathis  had 6 layover towers all in
wet undergrowth   He turned me onto a granger product I have been using on my
winch cables.. and have not replaced any in 22 years at this QTH  It's a cable
open gear penetrating lube. it now  comes in eco friend
 ly hand pump bottle
.http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/SPRAYON-Open-Gear-and-Wire-Rope-Lube-4GUM9?Pid=search
  Wayne W3EA