Re: [TowerTalk] Stubs and rx noise

To: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>,"towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Stubs and rx noise
From: "VE5ZX" <ve5zx@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 06:16:15 -0600
> Sylvan, on what band were you listening in this case? And when you were
> listening on the 14AVQ what was the noise level when you weren't
> transmitting?

I was txing on 10m and I listened on 15, 20 and 40. The noise level in the
rx when not transmitting is essentially zero. However, when I tx on 10 the
noise level becomes S 4, 4 and 0 respectively.

> Sounds like you have a sneak path. If you are seeing a 4 S-unit
> increase in noise when you transmit even when the 2nd rig is
> terminated into a dummy load, then something is wrong. I would

There is no increase in noise when the rx is either terminated in a 50 ohm
load or left open.

> tests. There is no reason that you shouldn't be able to completely
> eliminate the interstation QRM, especially at 100 watts tx power
> (except where you are listening on an exact harmonic of the other
> station).

That is what I thought. Hmmm - I guess I have a mystery to solve.

tnx

Sylvan Katz - VE5ZX
Saskatoon, SK