[TowerTalk] Inspecting or even de-icing antennas from the ground

To: TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Inspecting or even de-icing antennas from the ground
From: John W <xnewyorka@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2011 07:58:52 -0800
Santa is bringing my nephew a radio controlled helicopter for Christmas. It has
a camera built in, with 4 GB of memory.

It just occurred to me that being able to fly a camera up to the top of a tower
could be a handy way to inspect to see if something is broken or amiss without
having to climb.
It also occurred to me that perhaps one could suspend some sort of a loop under
the helicopter and, if it's highly maneuverable, maybe even use it to gently
shake an element that has got ice building up on it, as a way of maybe knocking
some ice off.

Wondering if anyone has ever considered using a RC helicopter for this purpose,
and wanted to throw the idea out there as a suggestion in case it hasn't been
tried yet. I plan to give it a try.
I assume a telescope, or at least a good pair of image-stabilized binoculars,
would need to be used by the pilot, in order to be able to see exactly what
you're doing from the ground.

John
W2ID