RE: [TowerTalk] Horizontal Loops

To: contesting@eircom.net, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Horizontal Loops
From: "Tim Kass" <timkass@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 09:18:40 -0400
Ive never used a Rhombic, but do have used alot of loops and currently using a horizontal Bi-Square, it radiates mostly upwards, on the designed frequency, 7200 khz, but practice and research states that as you go up in frequency with this same size antenna, the angle of radiation decreases and that is my experiece as well. Worked other countries very well during the DX contect on 20 meters and 17 meters... it compared equally to my Hygain Hytower vertical. The rhomic is very long and angles are important, I think it functions similar to a vee beam...so you need wavelengths of room... 73 Tim K8WBL

From: "Tim Makins, EI8IC" <contesting@eircom.net>
To: "TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Horizontal Loops
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 09:12:16 +0100

There have been comments in the past that a horizontal loop is really not
much good for DX communications. However, a rhombic, which is just a
horizontal loop with the far end cut and terminated, was used by major comms
companys, and some W6s !

If a folded dipole performs like a normal dipole, why doesn't a horizontal
loop perform like a rhombic ?

73s Tim EI8IC
www.mapability.com/ei8ic
Ham Map Heaven

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number
of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.