Re: [TowerTalk] 2 identical antennas

To: "TOWER TALK" <towertalk@contesting.com>, "AI9L" <ai9l@core.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 2 identical antennas
From: "RICHARD BOYD" <ke3q@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2004 21:47:58 -0400
The lower one will tend to be better (you will be louder) for closer in
things and the higher one will tend to be better for farther away things.

A low tribander, even lower than 65', can be very good for within-the-U.S.
QSOs, and to the Caribbean from the U.S., and even to Europe at times.

The higher one can make it much harder to work within-the-U.S. QSOs.  I have
often noticed (with a big yagi at 120' or more) waiting in a pileup for 10
minutes for something in the Caribbean, and everyone with a tribander on a
chimney mount getting through before me.

Flip side, I have busted a pileup to Asia (from W3, East Coast U.S.) pretty
easily (once in a while anyway), with a yagi 100' or more up.  I pretty
clearly remember when XX (Macao) came on the air for the last 10 minutes of
a CQWW, on 20 phone, first time XX had been on all weekend.  Big pileup, all
"the big boys," favoring West Coast U.S. over East Coast U.S. but I got
through pretty quickly with a TH-6 at 100'.  I was one of the few East Coast
stations to get through.

73 - Rich, KE3Q