Re: [TowerTalk] SteppIR MonstIR Modeling

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>, "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] SteppIR MonstIR Modeling
From: "JoeCoolDXer" <JoeCoolDXer@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 18:22:59 -0800
I knew a ham who was a captain for a major airline and had, from time to time,
done a lot of listening on 20 meters using the aircrafts' radios.  I once asked
him how the sigs varied as you went really high, expecting that thousands of
feet would be noticeably better than at typical ham antenna heights.  He
replied that from 35,000 feet down to around 50-100 feet, sigs were relatively
constant.  Below that, the sigs dropped off noticeably.  And I'm
thinking.whoa!. here he is landing a plane with a couple hundred passengers and
he's listening to 20 meters.????!

Anyway, that's one anecdotal datapoint applicable to your question.