Re: [TowerTalk] PL-259's can be installed correctly in 5 minutes

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] PL-259's can be installed correctly in 5 minutes
From: "Eric - VE3GSI" <ve3gsi@sympatico.ca>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 12:25:49 -0400

> I thought that the internal thread was to facilitate the use
> of a threaded reducer for smaller cable e.g. RG-58 etc.

That too!

But for years and like others I have always screwed the .405 diameter cables
like 213 etc into the threads of the PL-259. It not only helps to prevent WX
problems it makes for one heck of a strong mechanical connection. For
example, off my 80 meter dipole from the balun down I have a 35 or so foot
straight drop of RG-213 cable without the use of a support messenger. Not
recommended I am sure, but it sure is doing a fine job of staying together.

I don't have any of my ARRL antenna books handy, but I thought all the cut
lengths and assembly methods of all the popular cable ends were shown there?

73 Eric.