Re: [TowerTalk] [CQ-Contest] mystery tool and damaged 40m antennas

To: K1TTT <k1ttt@arrl.net>, reflector -tower <towertalk@contesting.com>, reflector cq-contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>, YCCC <yccc@yccc.org>, Rlx <rlx@yahoogroups.com>, Nobarc <nobarc@nobarc.org>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [CQ-Contest] mystery tool and damaged 40m antennas
From: Dale Putnam <daleputnam@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 12:01:16 -0600
At first glance, it appears to be a can/bottle opener.... and would work very
well for that.
It also may be a Hoof Pick. Depending upon the angle of attack, or amount of
bend, it would
be useful when cleaning hoofs, or preparing for shoeing.
 Just my 2 cents worth.. and that ain't much nowadays.....*g*--... ...--Dale -
WC7S in Wy> Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 13:37:33 +0000> From: K1TTT@ARRL.NET> To:
towertalk@contesting.com; CQ-Contest@Contesting.COM; yccc@yccc.org;
RLX@yahoogroups.com; nobarc@nobarc.org> Subject: [CQ-Contest] mystery tool and
damaged 40m antennas> > Take a look at the picture of the tool next to a pencil
for size comparison:> http://www.k1ttt.net/images/2008_40m4lldd_repair_1.jpg> >
This tool was uniquely suited for one particular job while disassembling an>
ice and wind damaged 40m4lldd yagi. Out of all the tools in all my various>
tool boxes this one stood out for this one specific task.> > Can you identify:>
1. What it's original purpose(s) were? > 2. What it would be used for in a 40m
yagi disassembly?> > > Pictures of the 40m damage in progress are below... We
had 3 ice storms in 2> weeks, 2 of them were followed immediately by strong
winds. Besides damage> to both 40m4lldd's there were several bent elements on
20m4dx yagis that had> survived several years with 'normal' ice and wind.
Something interesting to> note is that the loading rods on the 40m4lldd's did
not provide any> mechanical strength to the elements even though they look like
they would> act as trusses. The elements all bent on the same side of the
antennas> because the wind hit them from the side while the element was already
bent> down under the ice load. The same mechanism damaged all 4 elements of
the> top fixed European 20m yagi that was sideways to the wind, while the>
rotatable one above it only had 1 slightly bent element since it was> pointing
into the NW wind at the time. The loading rods broke all on the> same side
because the wind shifted while the elements were bent so one side> of the
of Rohn-55 with the 40m4lldd's on ring rotors at 70' and 170'.> > 2/2 Top 40m
with ice and wind> http://www.k1ttt.net/images/2008_feb_02_40m_ice_1.jpg> > 2/2
Top 40m with ice, note how on the left side all 4 elements are bent at> the sme
place and the loading rods are below the element tubing.>
http://www.k1ttt.net/images/2008_feb_02_40m_ice_2.jpg> > 2/2 Top 40m with ice
element closeup> http://www.k1ttt.net/images/2008_feb_02_40m_ice_3.jpg> > 2/2
Bottom 40m with ice> http://www.k1ttt.net/images/2008_feb_02_40m_ice_5.jpg> >
2/7 Top 40m with ice and wind, round 2 of the storms you can see the 1st>
with 1 broken rod, all on the same side.>
http://www.k1ttt.net/images/2008_feb_07_40m_ice_11.jpg> > 2/7 Top 40m with ice
and wind, slightly crooked elements.>
http://www.k1ttt.net/images/2008_feb_07_40m_ice_13.jpg> > 2/7 Top 40m broken
Removal of the damaged antennas was done by XX-Towers on 3/7:> Rigging bottom
40m, tram line is cable coming down to left.>
http://www.k1ttt.net/images/2008_mar_07_kc1xx_2.jpg> > Bottom one coming down>
http://www.k1ttt.net/images/2008_mar_07_kc1xx_4.jpg> > Bottom one wide view>
http://www.k1ttt.net/images/2008_mar_07_kc1xx_5.jpg> > Closeup of broke loading
rod end, its really not pulled out, the shorting> bar held and the rod broke.
The ss saddle and eye arrangement on the philly> cable is my modification to
prevent the philly from being cut on the side of> the small holes it used to go
through on the shorting block. M2 has> modified the design with a strain relief
to prevent that on new ones.>
http://www.k1ttt.net/images/2008_mar_07_kc1xx_6.jpg> > Rigging the top 40m,
tram line is hard to see but comes down between guy> wires toward bottom.>
http://www.k1ttt.net/images/2008_mar_07_kc1xx_7.jpg> > Rigging top, wide view.>
http://www.k1ttt.net/images/2008_mar_07_kc1xx_8.jpg> > Liftoff of top one.>
http://www.k1ttt.net/images/2008_mar_07_kc1xx_10.jpg> > Top one starting down>
http://www.k1ttt.net/images/2008_mar_07_kc1xx_12.jpg> > Interesting rigging,
use ring rotor supports and boom brace to spread load> to 4 points on boom.>
http://www.k1ttt.net/images/2008_mar_07_kc1xx_13.jpg> > Insurance has already
paid off and I am awaiting delivery of a new 125mph> 40m4lldd for the top. For
the bottom one I salvaged parts from the top one> to make it whole and have
purchased aluminum to beef it up similar to how> the 125mph elements are done.
I also am waiting delivery of a 20m4dx to be> used for parts to replace bent
element sections on those antennas.> > Of course I am writing this today
because we are now getting snow/freezing> rain/rain/whatever out there and I
figured I can wait a while to continue> repairs.> > David Robbins K1TTT>
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net> web: http://www.k1ttt.net> AR-Cluster node:
145.69MHz or telnet://dxc.k1ttt.net> > > > >
Pack up or back up–use SkyDrive to transfer files or keep extra copies. Learn
how.
hthttp://www.windowslive.com/skydrive/overview.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Refresh_skydrive_packup_042008