Re: [TowerTalk] guying question

To: "Roger \(K8RI\)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] guying question
From: "JoeCoolDXer" <JoeCoolDXer@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 13:42:43 -0700
  From: Roger (K8RI)<mailto:K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
  Cc: Tower Talk<mailto:towertalk@contesting.com>
  Sent: Saturday, July 26, 2008 2:23 PM

  john@kk9a.com<mailto:john@kk9a.com> wrote:
  > Star guying substantially reduces the twist on a tower.  Torque arms are
  > much less effective.
  I agree on both points.
  > According to K7LXC : When Rohn implemented one of the
  > early EIA/TIA-222 tower standards, they found that the torque arms added
  > nothing to  the torque resistance of the tower but they do help stabilize
  > the tower as  it's being climbed.

  With this I disagree to a point.  Much depends on how the torque arms
  are installed, but at best they are no where near as good as star
  guying. On my tower I found that following the instructions  added
  little if any resistance to turning, but mounting the torque arms
  *rigidly* made a noticeable difference in the tendency for the top of
  the tower to rotate in high winds.  However, it's not nearly as
  effective as star guying which I'd much prefer. There's an interesting
  PP presentation at
www.yccc.org/Articles/KE1IH_Dayton.ppt<http://www.yccc.org/Articles/KE1IH_Dayton.ppt>
  showing
  forces on the tower with regular and star guying as well as the force
  when using elevated guy anchors.

  If possible I'm going to change the top level on mine from torque arms
  to star guying.  I have a lot of steel and aluminum up there.

  73

  Roger (K8RI - ARRL Life Member)
  www.rogerhalstead.com<http://www.rogerhalstead.com/>
  N833R (World's oldest Debonair)