[TowerTalk] Wiring

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Wiring
From: "Mike Maddox" <mmaddox@aclass.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 12:53:52 -0500

For a household where humans live you cannot get away from NEC wiring unless
you build the house yourself with cash and no building permit.  IOW, forget
it!

For a barn you can wire any way you see fit.  I designed my barn wiring on
actual current measurements, not NEC specs.  The 50A breaker is not really
needed on the lighting circuit.  It is what I had for the mains box at the
time.  The mains breaker box is no longer manufactured and a new 30A breaker
costs about $50.  In the barn there is another breaker box with breakers to
match romex size (14ga-15A, 12ga-20A).  This box feeds all lighting/outlet
circuits.  Unless there is a total load of 50A continuous on this secondary
box (highly unlikely), the 10ga wire is not going to heat up and burn down
the barn.

Whoa!, I don't know where to start.  Code requirements are for all
contruction, and should be considered to be only the least.  Many times it's
done better.  One can not wire stuff any way they want, either legally or
morally.  If the protection (breakers, fuses) are not sized for the wire,
why even have them, they do no good.  "Unlikely loads" just won't get it.
Good luck with your insurance company.