[TowerTalk] Another Cushcraft shorty-forty question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Another Cushcraft shorty-forty question
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2015 07:06:30 -0700
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2015 20:02:29 -0400
From: RMorris <robrk@nidhog.net>
To: George Dubovsky <n4ua.va@gmail.com>, kz8e@wt.net, towertalk
<towertalk@contesting.com>, Tim Jellison <kl7wv@kl7wv.com>

Some folks have change their shorty(s) into Moxons getting away from loading
wires and weak tips. Check K3LR.com for links.

##  another option is to toss the 68 turns of 12 ga magnet wire used to wind
the oem coils..and replace with
3/16 inch Al tubing coils.   8 ohms  vs .8 ohm.
http://www.qsl.net/ve6wz/CC_coil.html  If cu is used, it drops down to .5 ohm.

##  Ken at W3JK, uses  .25 inch solid AL for his 40m coils..then just uses AL
standoffs at each end of the coil...
similar to what F-12 used on there yagis.    The .25 inch al solid coils are
stuffed into the .25 inch hole at the end of the
al standoff....and protrude a bit out the other side.  Then just tig or heliarc
wled em.   Solid connection, zero ohms.
3/16 solid AL could also be used.

##  I used .375 silver plated CU tubing to replace the LL rods on my F12  340N.
  .07 ohm per coil.

##  IMO, the oem 12 ga magnet wire that CC used on solid fiberglass has way too
much loss for the loading
application.

Jim   VE7RF