[TowerTalk] Steppir antennas

To: "towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Steppir antennas
From: "Rudy Severns" <n6lf@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 09:50:14 -0800
I'd like to pass on my experience with several SteppIR antennas.  Some years
ago I won one of the original SteppIR dipoles at the NW DX convention.
After using it for a while I moved on to one of the early three element 20m+
arrays and a couple of years ago to the monster SteppIR with three elements
on 40m and 30m and 4 elements on 20m+.

My initial reaction to the dipole was "this Rube Goldberg can't possibly
work!"  The monster SteppIR is an order of magnitude more complicated that
the original SteppIR's and is certainly not for the mechanically challenged
when it comes to assembly.  My opinion has still not changed, these antennas
cannot possibly work.

However, time and experience have cast some doubt on that opinion.  After
several years and several antennas, I have yet to have a failure.  These
contraptions  have worked flawlessly for me.  My QTH is a high wind
environment being on a hilltop in western Oregon but I rarely have much ice

I'm not suggesting anyone buy one of these but since I saw a good of
conversation on the reflector about these antennas and thought I would add
my experience for anyone interested.

73, Rudy N6LF