Re: [TowerTalk] Have you had old tower sections hot dip galvanized?

To: xnewyorka@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Have you had old tower sections hot dip galvanized?
From: George Dubovsky <n4ua.va@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 16:51:22 -0500
One of the first steps in the re-galvanizing process is to completely strip
the old galvanizing and surface rust/ mill scale/etc using an acid dip.
After that step, the tower is bare steel and any added galvanizing should
be the same as the factory stuff. One tip (learned the hard way): the
galvanizing shop may not be all that familiar with tower sections, so make
sure the sections are rigged to go into the tank on a slant (like 20-30
degrees from horizontal) so they will drain readily, and insist that the
BOTTOM of Rohn 25/45/55 be at the high end (go into the bath last). If not,
I guarantee that a blob of zinc will form inside the tube at the bottom of
the tower, and you will need a reamer and coarse file to clear it out. Much
better for that "solder blob" to be on the outside at the top of the tower,
where it's easily removed.

I have had perhaps 400 feet of Rohn tower done and it's well worth the
effort.

73,

geo - n4ua