Re: [TowerTalk] Greasing the Tilt-over Bolts on a tilt-over tower

To: Towertalk Reflector <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Greasing the Tilt-over Bolts on a tilt-over tower
From: Larry Loen <lwloen@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 09:26:53 -0700
A colleague who has a tower similar to my HDX 572 (finally being delivered
tomorrow) says his tilt over is substantially eased by having a little bit
of grease on the bottom bolt of the tower that bears the weight during the
tilt-over.  It makes the whole tilt-over (lowering and raising) more easily
done.

Makes sense to me.

But, I forgot to ask what kind of grease?  I don't lube my own car and this
wouldn't take much.

Any ideas on this?  I obviously don't want to do anything to the bolts (I
believe they are galvanized) and I would suspect it isn't terribly
critical, but then, when it comes to "lubing" the cables, I learned this
group is wiser than I am.

So, assuming this a good idea, is there anything special I should know?
I'll buy a big tube of grease if I have to, I suppose, but a "little dab
will do ya" kind of product would be just fine if it were otherwise
suitable.

Larry Wo0Z