Re: [TowerTalk] G-1000DXA failure with lower mast clamp - follow up

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] G-1000DXA failure with lower mast clamp - follow up
From: Barry N1EU <n1eu.barry@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2012 11:59:35 +0000
I just wanted to post a follow up to this incident, where the downward
facing stock Yaesu bolts securing the G-1000DXA fell to ground.  I
took several steps to avoid repeating this near disaster and very
happy to finally have the SteppIR airborne again..

I was able to find M8X25 bolts with drilled heads
(www.probolt-usa.com/index.php/stainless-steel-flanged-hex-m8-x-1-25mm-x-25mm-race-spec.html).
 I used Loctite blue tape on the bolt threads, Nord-Lock wedge-locking
washers, and I lock-wired the bolt heads.  A close-up of the
lock-wired bolt heads can be seen at
http://n1eu.com/images/G1000_lock.jpg (the rotor is turned upside down
so the bolt heads seen are on the bottom when installed).

Thanks again for all the excellent advice I received here.

Barry N1EU