[TowerTalk] 80m Inverted L or 40m vertical

To: TOWER TALK <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 80m Inverted L or 40m vertical
From: Daniel Hileman <n9wx@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 13:42:38 +0000
Well...I have room for ONE more antenna...right now I have a Inverted V for
75M...and a homebrew 20m vertical. I was wanting something that would perform
well for 80/40m DX. Thought about one of those 43' verts...but have pretty much
decided to spend the money on wire since I am surrounded by trees on three
sides. I was thinking an inverted L with plenty of radials. The issue is...I
can only get the vertical section up about 30'...So...I'm a little torn between
the 43' vert...a 40m vertical and the 80m inverted L. I would really like to
work more DX on 80m than my V allows me to, but also want a good DX killer on
40m. So...will the L work well on 40m for DX as a 40m 1/4 wave vert? Will the
angle of radiation be as low on the L as with the monoband vert? I guess my
main question is...will I be giving up much in the way of trying to get a good
DX antenna on 40m while trying to be selfish and get a good DX antenna on 80m
at the same time?

Thanks and 73,

Daniel N9WX