Re: [TowerTalk] Reduced size receiving antennas

To: <john@kk9a.com>, <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Reduced size receiving antennas
From: "Doug Turnbull" <turnbull@net1.ie>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 13:01:33 -0000
It would be very interesting to hear how the DX Engineering Active Four
Square antenna compares to other receiving antennas.   Perhaps not a small
antenna as regards real estate but small by 160M standards and a lot less
space than that required by Beverages.   I have often wondered about this DX
Engineering product and have never seen a review or any comparison with
other antennas.

A Question, does it help to run a separate ground rod beneath a Beverage
which is installed over reasonably wet pasture land in a place such as
Ireland.   I would thing our ground conductivity is reasonably good.   Yes I
know that Beverages are supposed to really come into their own over land
with poor conductivity.   I am just trying to tap in to the knowledge
available on this forum.

Thanks to all.
             73 Doug EI2CN

From: "W0MU Mike Fatchett" <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 08:23:22 -0700

I use the 4sq rcv array from DX Engineering and they work great.  They use
shortened whips for the verticals.  I do not have a full sized 4sq to
compare.

I have used other small loops in the past.  What I have found is something
is usually better than nothing.

Mike W0MU

CC Packet Cluster W0MU-1
W0MU.NET or  67.40.148.194