[TowerTalk] tnx beverage and compass answers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] tnx beverage and compass answers
From: ke3q@msn.com (RICHARD BOYD)
Date: Tue Feb 11 11:56:22 2003
Thanks for the answers to my beverage and compass questions.  The mailbox was
loaded!

Let me recap the responses on the compass.  90% of the respondents agreed with
my "suspicion" that my compass needle should point at 350 for zero on the
compass to point at true north.  10% said the needle should point at 10 degrees.

Someone corrected my terminology.  I had called this offset factor "magnetic
deviation," but I think a respondent was correct in calling it "magnetic
variation."  Someone else used the term "magnetic declination," which I think
I've heard before too, maybe for this, maybe for something else.

Several used the term "east is least and west is best."  I took flying lessons
too and this saying never made it crystal clear to me.  I think for this term
to make sense you have to know what it is referring to, and not just a general
understanding that it refers to compass direction and north.  You have to know
that it means in the east you subtract X (10 or so in my case) from 360 degrees
to get the direction your needle should point for zero to be pointing at true
north.  In the west you add X to find where the compass needle should point for
zero to be pointing at true north.  I suspect that some people interpret this
saying to mean true north is less than where the needle points, in the east.
Hence, some of the confusion (which I am probably adding to).

On beverages, one respondent cited another authority as saying beverages should
each be on a different feedpoint ground rod.  Others didn't think so.  One said
using a coax switch to have just one coax to the feedpoint may degrade
performance.  Others cite their actual experience as saying otherwise.  Most
who have beverages cross say they have them a foot apart (I suspect this is
more a practical consideration and that putting them closer isn't the best idea
and having them farther apart can't hurt).  One cited ON4UN as saying if they
cross it should be as close to right angles as possible.

73 - Rich, KE3Q