[TowerTalk] shunt-fed tower question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] shunt-fed tower question
From: "Richard W. Harris" <Richard_Harris@byu.edu>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 13:58:47 -0600
Hi,

I'm starting work on a shunt-fed tower for 160M.  I have a four section
motorized crank-up from US Towers.  I also have a Yaesu 2800 rotor.

I have 2 questions:

1) are there precautions I should take to make sure I do not damage the
Yaesu rotor or crank-up motor?  If so, if you could give me specifics on
what I should consider doing to protect the rotor and crank-up motor.

2)       I am going to use an omega match using Jennings vacuum variable
capacitors.  I would like to mount the capacitors in a weathertight box
on the tower.  Are there any suggestions for the best way to route the
attachment from the capacitor to the vertical wire?  The vertical may be
offset by 2 feet.  Can the wire from the box simply run horizontally to
connect to the vertical wire?  Photos of how others have made the
attachment from the capacitor to the vertical wire would be helpful.

Thanks,

Richard Harris - KJ7CU