RE: [BULK] - [TowerTalk] Re: [Antennas] inline female coax connec tor?

To: 'Harvey&Bessie' <w4tg@bellsouth.net>,FireBrick <w9ol@billnjudy.com>
Subject: RE: [BULK] - [TowerTalk] Re: [Antennas] inline female coax connec tor?
From: Steve Katz <stevek@jmr.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 09:02:51 -0700
The "barrel connector" has a military designation, and it's PL-258.  The bad
rap these adapters have is based largely on crappy products built by
non-military suppliers, many of whom are offshore and selling pure junk into
the hobbyist marketplace.  A real, mil-spec Amphenol, Kings, Delta,
Trompeter et al. (U.S.-based mil-approved suppliers) PL-258 has no
measurable loss at all at 150 MHz.  I can resolve this better than a network
analyzer by using a signal generator (8640B) and digital RF microwattmeter
(BEC 42AD), where I can resolve about five-hundredths of a dB, consistently.
A "good" PL-258 at 150 MHz has loss down in this region.  However, I
disagree they're lossless at 400 MHz, and pretty much consistently measure
about 0.1 dB or so at 300 MHz with most PL-258s.  With that much loss, they
cannot handle high power at that frequency but they're still useful for RX
or lowered power service.  -WB2WIK/6