[Towertalk] Coax opinions

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Coax opinions
From: stevek@jmr.com (Steve Katz)
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 07:34:14 -0700

> Where can I get connectors for RG-17??

        [Steve Katz]  When I need them, which is rarely, I try to find them
at: APEX Electronics (mil surplus warehouse and wholesaler), 8909 San
Fernando Road, Sun Valley, CA (818) 767-7202.  Since that's only about 10
miles from me, I just drive over there, but they will fill mail-orders.  I
usually can find Type N's for RG17, sometimes Type C, LC or HN.  They don't
give 'em away, they seem to know their retail value and charge about half
that.  Better still, I re-use the ones that come on the ends of mil-contract
manufactured lots -- those are frequently available at the TRW Swap Meet
(Redondo Beach, CA), a monthly affair...tons of mil surplus cable assemblies
there because of the close presence of TRW, Raytheon, Hughes, ITT, et al.  I
bought ~120' of RG17 with Type N's preinstalled, still shrink wrapped onto a
spool with Army contract numbers stamped all over it for $75.  Biggest
problem is finding a strong friend to help carry it!  73 Tom.  Steve,
WB2WIK/6