[Towertalk] Burying Coax in Conduit Trench

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Burying Coax in Conduit Trench
From: stevek@jmr.com (Steve Katz)
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 08:28:22 -0700
Hi Sherman,

I've never had a problem with lightning, either, to tell you the truth.
Here in the Los Angeles area, lightning is somewhere between "rare" and
"nonexistent," so I don't even think about it; however, when I've lived and
operated in/from NJ/NY, MA, MD, VA and FLA, it was quite common, as you
know.  I still never had a problem, and I did virtually nothing preventive.
I honestly haven't had a "station ground" in many years -- I don't recall
ever intentionally having one.

But, then there are the "experts" who talk about this stuff.

9913 is very squirrely cable, easily damaged by abraising, bending, kinking,
stepping on it, or tying it to almost anything.  I've damaged it with Scotch
88 tape, by simply taping it too tightly to something "hard" like an antenna
boom or tower leg.  Then, I've had similar problems with Times FM-8, LMR400,
Belden 8214 and most all types of cellular dielectric cables.  They just
cannot take any mechanical abuse at all.  For any kind of overhead run where
the cable must be securely tied, I use solid dielectric cable, or armored
cable like Andrew Heliax.

73,

Steve, WB2WIK/6

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." -
Mario Andretti