[Towertalk] (no subject)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] (no subject)
From: stevek@jmr.com (Steve Katz)
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 13:56:28 -0700

> Frankly, I wouldn't trust a screw anchor in a tree to hold my tower up. In
>
> our last wind storm I lost a red maple.

        (WB2WIK)- A good friend of mine used large trees for guy anchors on
his 70' R-25.  Screweyes into the trees, with stranded steel guy wire
wrapped around the trees at the same points to further secure them...one
cold winter windstorm later, I remember his tower tilting to about 45
degrees as one guy let go (tree fell over and uprooted).  The following
morning the tree was replaced by his Pontiac Grand Am as a guy anchor.
Since then, I've never used a tree for anything except a dipole support.