Re: [TowerTalk] CAT 5 as Rotator cable

To: "Martin Sole" <msole@loxinfo.co.th>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] CAT 5 as Rotator cable
From: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 08:07:13 -0400

On Jun 17, 2004, at 7:41 PM, Martin Sole wrote:

What I don't have is anything really suitable to connect my Yaesu G800SDX to
its' control box.

Question. Will CAT5 do the job?

Distance is about 55 metres, say 180 feet.

It can.

I've used bell cable (the predecessor to CAT3) to connect up an AR22 rotator before. used it for 6 years without a problem.

You may or may not have a problem with exposure to the weather, depending on conditions.

The biggest concern is whether or not there's sufficient current-carrying capability for your rotator in the wire sizes available in CAT5 cable, particularly for a 55m run.

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901