[TowerTalk] Lift Mast to Replace Rotator

To: "TowerTalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Lift Mast to Replace Rotator
From: Keith Hanson <ac9s@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2019 19:21:50 +0000
I have had a fair amount of experience swapping rotators.  At one point
Hygain/MFJ had a pot problem; mine were wearing out in roughly a year.  What I
did was procure a 2nd "hot swap" rotator so that I could do a replacement in a
single tower climb.

I place my masts about 1/4" above the rotator bell so that when it is time to
swap all I need to do is remove the bottom and clamp bolts and tip the HamIV
out.  The new one is tipped into place, bolts connected and I am ready to go in
 about an hour.

The key is to clamp the mast at the thrust bearing ( I used a muffler clamp) so
that the weight of the mast and antennas is held off the rotator.  Once the new
rotator is in place and clamped to the mast (with the 1/4" clearance) I loosen
a set screw in the thrust bearing so that full weight of the mast/antenna is
borne by the rotator.  I immediately retighten the thrust bearing .

When I first started this I used a home made two leg clamp to stabilize the
mast in the tower, but I ultimately abandoned it because I could swap the
rotators so quickly that I never had a problem with the mast tipping out of
position.

This was all with a 3el/40 SteppIR on a 10' Rohn mast.  I finally got sick of
HamIV and put in a Yaesu 2800; I haven't had a problem in over 10 years now.  I
still installed the mast on my 2800 with a 1/4" of clearance though.

Keith - AC9S